Monday, May 2, 2011

Because it has a song

May is here!  I am embarking on poem # 65 this morning.  Sometimes I question why I bother to work at my kitchen table each morning before my little girl wakes up.  For many years, I have dreamed of writing a collection of poetry.  I often thought writing poems inspired by the news would be endlessly engaging.  One morning, I read an article about an infant in a Russian village who was rumored to have Koranic passages emblazoned on his body.  I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I rushed to write a poem.  The next morning, while reading the paper again, I pushed myself to try again. I don't know why that was the morning the project began in earnest, but I didn't want to spend the rest of my days longing to write.   My work is never perfect; I always notice the flaws and shortcomings.  But it reminds me of an Asian adage. "A bird doesn't sing because it has all of the answers.  It sings because it has a song." 

No comments:

Post a Comment